Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Test Day Results: The Practicum

...

...

...

...

PASS!!

Hooray hooray!  I passed the Practicum!  I'm not really sure what else to say in this post, since I provided my "Day-of" run-down here so I'm sharing a picture! 


As you can imagine, I'm happy, confident, and feeling like a shiny new, official designer!  I won't be adding anything to the end of my name until I have my certificate number despite my excitement.  Heck, I'll probably have another celebratory post when I receive THAT. 

[A question]

How did everyone else do?  

I was willing to publicly proclaim my results even if I failed, but I understand if others aren't so eager to share.  I understand how it feels to receive those results.  And I want you to know something: You will pass. You will be happy about this. In fact, you will be happier the second time that you would have been the first time, because this isn't just a test, it's a true accomplishment.  It is a mountain to climb. And you're capable and smart even if you feel the opposite right now.  Stand back up with grace.  I promise it pays off. 

[An Announcement]

Because I've gained quite a lot of followers and page views, something I think will only continue as test-takers refer this blog or google helpful test prep blogs, I would like to keep The NCIDQ Diaries open and active.  I don't anticipate posting nearly as much as I would while I'm practicing (it would also become quite redundant), but I will check in, offer encouragement, and help with questions about the test and my experience. After all, I still receive notifications whenever someone posts a comment or question and I love to respond.  Don't ever think you're a bother and ask anything you please!  Chances are - even if I haven't shared it here - I have likely emailed NCIDQ and asked.  Also, you'll be helping me to stay sharp, too!

Best wishes to all current and future NCIDQ certificate holders!  You're truly set apart! 

Happily,
Carolyn






12 comments:

  1. Congrats Carolyn!! I passed Section 3 too! Thank you so much for all of your posts/encouragements/advice! It was more helpful than you could possibly imagine! :)

    Now that you are a sparkly Interior Designer (you must feel sparkly??) - can you shed some light on Section 2? I am having the WORST time with this section... I failed it twice already and feel so completely lost! Everyone I know passed Section 2 on their first try... just not sure what I am studying incorrectly and everyone I ask tells me the same thing, they studied from the Ballast book! Well.. I did that, and then some... just wondering if you had any magical tips!

    Again - congrats to you!! A long process and so, SO deserved!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!!
      Sorry for the delayed response! I'm glad Christa commented below because that was my exact tactic with Section 2. So many of the questions (both practice and day-of) were confusing and definitely had the "correct" answer and then other "tempting" answers. I just poured myself into the Ballast books for 30 days straight. I didn't take days off - I studied every day. I actually became addicted to reading and felt guilty if I wasn't! I didn't know this when I was preparing for sections 1 and 2 but apparently there are Ballast-related practice tests in addition to the infamous book. I'd recommend those if you haven't already used them... Or come here and we can figure stuff out together!

      Delete
  2. Congrats Carolyn! I passed Section 3 too which means I am now down with my testing and also a legit designer! Because we have a separate board of legislators that feed us into the NCDIQ exam, I haven't received my paper score yet with what my pass/fail sections were - I just was able to view it online.

    Christina - I know a lot of people who did not pass Section 2. I think this section is entirely dependent on where you've put in your experience hours. The biggest advice I can give on Section 2 is to choose the answer you think they want, not what you would do in the real world. You have to forget about the process you use in your office, and think about what it is the Q says is the most generally recognized process. Once I started thinking like that I had no problem getting through some of the questions I would have answered wrong previously.

    Congrats to both of you for passing Section 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady!! And congratulations to you, too! Doesn't it feel awesome! Thanks for your advice on Section 2 - I completely agree with your strategy. I hope you get your detailed report soon! Now, I just want my certificate number! hahaha :)

      Delete
  3. Love all your advice Carolyn!! I am taking the test in two weeks and I appreciate all your words of wisdom!!! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm so happy you found my blog helpful. I wanted it to help others while I helped myself, so it's nice to know it's still being used. Good luck!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this blog, Carolyn! I'm taking the Practicum this Saturday and your posts have been so helpful both practically and emotionally. I'm a swimmer too so the meet analogies were perfect! ;-) Thanks again and congratulations on passing!
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Hi Carolyn!
    Love your blog - I studied every post in preparation for the Practicum exam this past Saturday. I think I did alright! Consulting your blog was a wonderful tool for checking my study progress along the way. I am taking IDFX and IDPX (formerly Sections 1 and 2) later this month, and I wondered if you had any tips on passing those sections. I've seen comments on other platforms that say reading the Ballast book cover to cover was the best way to prepare, but I'm interested to hear your take on those parts!
    Any comments are welcomed!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, Thank you. I'm so happy it helped. I wish I could post more and more but they'd become repetitive, I'm sure! Also, I don't have the cash for new practice tests ... haha. Anyway - regarding the multiple choice sections, I just poured myself into the Ballast book at Starbucks for 36 days straight while I was unemployed - literally only taking breaks to job-hunt and get a 40 cent tea refill! I did learn that there's a Ballast book with actual practice questions/tests which I didn't use but I wish I knew about it. While I passed with this alone, I didn't love how prepared I felt - and I didn't pass with flying colors (Section II) - just passed with a few colors... ha! Flash cards (made 'em myself) helped immensely. And lists! Making little lists was awesome. good luck!

      Delete
  5. Hi Carolyn, I just wanted to say "thank you" for keeping your blog open and alive. It gave some wonderful tips and tricks that were extremely helpful. I successfully passed the practicum in fall of 2013! Yay! Now I am on to study for the IDFX and IDPX. Thank you again for keeping this open and helping your fellow designers. And congrats for passing all parts! I can't wait to have that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn!
    Thanks so much for your blog- I recommended it to a girl who is taking the test in April. I also passed my section 3 that day with you. It was nice to meet you and eat lunch with the group. I am officially certified and it still feels wonderful even after months.
    Hope all is well!
    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations girl!! Want to know something really cool? Just days before I found out I passed, I also found out I was expecting!! I'm due in 10 days! This past year was pretty awesome. :) Take care and thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete