Friday, March 29, 2013

Sim Day Results: Millwork

I did not like this exercise!  But despite my personal aversion, I passed. I guess I need to explain why on that first statement... not that it will help you or me pass. This exercise was more of a test in furniture design, rather than millwork. It's not unlike millwork, but this seems to be another part of the test to have evolved since 2010. 

Need inspiration? This is a great piece of student work by a student in Florida (link here), which shows a wide range of detail and ADA compliance. It is NOT an NCIDQ test. Click image for larger view.

Something I didn't know: You can draw more than one elevation if it helps convey your design intent/ADA compliance. However, I've never needed to do this on the newer exams.
{ Room for Improvement }
  • I don't know if this is incorrect, but I indicated the 30X48 clearance at the accessible portion of the counter as "side approach". The toe kick and counter height were compliant, but I saw the other solutions literally left room under the surface for knee/foot room - a.k.a. totally open. 
  • I missed a few "depth" dimensions in my section (counter and transaction counter). 
  • Again, not sure if this is wrong, but I only provided one elevation and it was of the front of the piece (approach/welcome side). It conveyed accessibility, relationship between height of transaction counter and ADA height surface, toe-kick height, counter thickness, materials, and front design (which seemed to be emphasized in the program). I showed the section of this, which as a section should, went into more detail on ADA vs. standard components and construct-ability.
I think this 2010 PDP continues to confuse me more than help me... Sadly. 

Keep Going,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment