Sunday, March 3, 2013

Millwork Exercise: How I Did!

PASS!



MILLWORK EXERCISE

(1) Hour is Recommended for this Portion

I used my entire hour for this exercise and was feeling great until I realized I only had 14 minutes to create my section. Eeep! I did pretty well despite. Before taking this, I reviewed last year's practice test and pooled some problems I remembered from my actual test day so I was more careful and knowledgeable going in.

The Right Stuff:
  • Divided the counter as shown (standard and ADA), dimensioned the depth on the plan, provided adequate knee-space per the program for each user.
  • Met all ADA codes for clearance below the worksurface, proper height, met 44" maximum reach height for wall-mounted receptacles and shelves.
  • Met all program requirements for the components and sizes. 
  • Drew Elevation marker in plan.
  • Drew Section marker in elevation.
  • Correctly dimensioned/labeled the standard height counter and the ADA height.
Oops, missed these:
  • Did not dimension mobile peds (one test-taker was marked down for this, another was not) in plan.
  • I drew a dashed rectangle indicating clear space for accessible pull-up but I drew it too large at 42x48 instead of 30x48. Even though I know this, I shouldn't have made it bigger than the minimum.
  • I did not place a "2" and a "3" in my elevation & section titles (below the plans). Um, how easy is that!?
  • I didn't include the wall and blocking within the wall in my *hurried* section.
  • I didn't include the depths of the shelves and the counter in my *hurried* section.
This is a shot of my "practice sketch"
{ TIPS }
  • I took some time to draw a "perfect" section and I've been studying it. I did it carefully and thoroughly and it didn't take much time. I'm sure if I did it again and again, the practice would make me speedier. I plan to draw this a few more times until I'm fast.
  • Think like a contractor - what information would you need to build this? right down to the blocking in the wall. When we hang heavy pictures, mount a toilet tissue holder, or install brackets for shelves, we make sure to hit a stud rather than half-inch GWB.
  • Give way more information than you think is necessary. Chances are its still not enough!
  • I know it's not required, but poche-ing and hatching my section really helped me to show the different materials and "cut line". It also looks like a true section that way! 
Yours in detail,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment