Monday, March 25, 2013

Ask and You Shall Learn!

I had some questions for NCIDQ after taking the 2010 practice test (before the test was re-vamped a little). I emailed a contact there and received some helpful answers. I was only asking for myself, but perhaps someone out there was hoping for some clarification as well. 



Q: I know the test can be taken in pen. But what about other colors?

A: As long as it's smear-proof and legible for the graders, it's ok to use color.
Reason for asking: I have a hard time seeing where I've placed Smoke Detectors, Emergency Lights, AV alarms, and FEC's on my Life Safety Plan when I do it in black. I practice with Extra Fine Point Blue Sharpies and I do much better!

Q: I know toilet and shower drains must be on plumbing trenches (*ON!!), but does this limit us to the trench provided or does it include the trenches we extend? 

A: Any trench, yours or provided, as long as the trench is clearly drawn, dimensioned, and the drains are directly on the trench. 
Reason for asking: I felt uncertain, so I assumed only the trench provided - which, as you can imagine, limited me beyond hope.

Q: On the Space Planning exercise for the 2010 PCP, one candidate was marked down for an electrical mistake in a room that didn't require electric. Why?

A: Not sure why, but they are only looking for electric/data in (3) spaces in this exercise. 
Reason for asking: If I go above and beyond, could it count against me? 

A product review...
I may get in trouble for saying this, but I really would not recommend using practice tests from 2010 and earlier. These tests are a bit dated in format and content. Will they help? Sure. However, this test confused me rather than helped me. I was disappointed having spent $130+ for this test for three reasons: 

  1. I didn't like trying to de-code conflicting information in the program requirements.
  2. Taking the time to email NCIDQ for clarification (it should be straightforward as a standardized licensing exam)
  3. The solutions online do not offer as much information as the booklet. 

Keep at it,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment