Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sim Day Results: ADA Washroom

ADA Washroom is another easy-breezy section for me. Along with Systems Integration, I find it's less intense than Space Planning, Egress, and Life Safety. It's 30 minutes and it's pretty straightforward. It's always a men's restroom (as we must know urinal clearances) and it almost always has the exact same requirements. Below is a breakdown, not my actual results. Results follow and they're boring because I only missed one dimension.


{ The Deets }

  • (1) Accessible min 60 x 60 toilet stall with 36W grab bar behind the toilet, a 42W grab bar beside the toilet, a 60" turning radius, side access, a 36W door, and dimensions/tags of all; door swings out.
  • (1-2) Standard toilet stalls 36W by 48D with a 30W min door or a 32W door, dims to center-line of toilet and indication of the width and depth; door swings out.
  • (1-2) Standard urinals tagged and dimensioned; TIP: min space between two urinals center-line to center-line is 32".
  • (1) Accessible urinal tagged/dimensioned and a 30 x 48 clear wheelchair space.
  • A degree of privacy from door sight line, screens between each urinal
  • Tag all fixtures
  • Fill in fixture schedule provided like this one
  • Fill in finish schedule for substrate and finish:
    • Cement backer board
    • Ceramic tile (if you want to get fancy, glazed ceramic tile or glazed ceramic subway tile are also acceptable)
TIP: My dad's an architect - so I'm often calling him with questions. I was chatting with him about the ADA Washroom exercise and he said (which may be obvious to others and it's how I've been doing it, but still a good reminder!) to start with the ADA toilet stall in the corner and work your way over with the remaining space. 

[ start at wall furthest from door -> 60 x 60 -> 1.5 panel -> 36 x 48 -> 1.5 panel -> 36 x 48 -> 1.5 panel -> 16-18" to cL of urinal -> 1.5 privacy screen -> 16-18" to cL of next urinal -> 1.5 privacy screen -> 16-18" to cL of ADA urinal -> 1.5 privacy screen ]*

*this is just an example. Your actual test requirements for quantities of stalls/urinals may vary. 

I did very well on the 2010 PDP which I used for my Sim Day. However, the test is formatted differently now. All clearances were shown, tags added, and dimensions to fixtures. I saw one example where a candidate didn't tag any of her fixtures, but labeled a few. It was still a passing solution.

Good luck,
Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Would you tell me how it's different now? I wish I bought a newer practice exam now!

    ReplyDelete