Sunday, March 24, 2013

Door Hardware: Rules of Thumb

Anyone else struggle with door hardware? In my almost-7 years of working experience (and 4 years of college), I've never really had to assign it. Architects always did, while I checked all materials, heights, and frame types. 
I spy a panic bar! 
photo: King County Library
Recognizing there are several "acceptable" answers, but usually a "best," I am usually pretty frustrated when I get 3 of 4 hardware selections wrong or "not exact." I learned that the newer tests (since 2011) have really narrowed down correct answers. On my latest test, I only got 2 of 4 wrong, but I had to ask NCIDQ directly. Before clarifying with them, I had 3 of 4 wrong. Heck, I could have only 1 of 4 wrong... 

This isn't a memorization test, it's a test of application, knowledge, and creativity. Therefore we have to LEARN it rather than just memorize a fact and forget it 4 days later. 

{ NCIDQ Partition Rules of Thumb }

  • Rated partitions
    • Demising walls between tenant suites
    • Walls between tenant suite and public space/corridor (i.e. elevator lobby)
    • Walls between assembly spaces (>750 SF) and adjacent space or tenant corridor
    • Walls of a storage room >50 SF
  • Rated partitions must extend to the underside of the deck
  • Acoustical partitions must extend to the underside of the deck
  • Rated = acoustical 
  • Office-to-office or office-to-corridor extend to finished ceiling
  • I rarely see 4" Above Finished ceiling as a correct answer. I'm still not really sure why it's an option? Anyone know what instance this would be used (on the NCIDQ)?
{ NCIDQ Door Rules of Thumb }
  • Doors in a rated wall assembly (1-hour) must be a minimum 20 min. rating
  • Most door frames can be AL unless required otherwise
  • Doors are 7'-0" high and commonly 3'-0" wide with a few exceptions
  • When "visibility" is required, I like to use either minimal glazing on the door itself, or a frame type with a sidelight. Why? Because rated doors have limits on the amount of glazing. These limits vary per code. Most fire-rated glazing is actually 45-min which is greater than the 20-minute minimum required by NCIDQ.
  • I use SCW (solid core wood) doors throughout unless I have a storage or utility room. These are typically utilitarian with louvered vents or are completely solid-faced (but hollow on the inside) HMD (hollow metal doors). 
{ NCIDQ Hardware Rules of Thumb } 
  • Rated doors require a closer
  • "Controlled access" or "Secured" typically requires a Card Reader or a Code Lock
  • Assembly space >750 SF should have a closer and a Lever Passage set typically. A panic bar is also acceptable, but not required.
{ The What and Why of Door Hardware }
What is each set and where would we use it?

To better see the chart, please click on it and it will become larger in your browser.
Good lock luck,
Carolyn

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for blogging this! I knew most of it but good reminder. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helps girl! I knew most, too, but I have a really hard time applying it for some reason. This is an area I will continue to review...

      Question: You said you're in Canada - are many things different ADA-wise?

      Delete
  2. Not too many. We have to have a full stall now at the end of a row of washroom stall so door can swing in & a person in a wheel chair can do a full turn inside the stall. Maybe that's standard in the US now too but it's not in the books I read. Of course everything is in metric also so some numbers are slightly different. I'm still doing the exam in imperial tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really admired for the great info is visible in this blog and the different services in this blog. Thanks a lot for using the great info that to sharing the nice info and the great collection.


    panic bars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I actually created everything on this blog myself. Nothing was created or received from NCIDQ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Carolyn. This one is very much appreciative and I admire the way you share this to us cause it is actually detailed. Keep sharing informative post. Hinges

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is cool!!! A complete information i need to know. Thank you for sharing.
    -----------
    Fire Systems Engineering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my biggest challenge so I made myself break it down and really learn it! Glad it helps! Good luck!

      Delete