Monday, March 25, 2013

Sim Day Results: Egress

Grade: Borderline Pass

How I felt during: A little confused at first, but determined

Why confused? I couldn't figure out what the furthest travel distance was in the existing space and I was taking a ton of time trying to measure different routes. Well, it didn't matter anyway, because along with all THREE solution examples, I got it wrong. In fact, I still disagree and I'm sure many other candidates would as well. Another pre-revamp, I suppose. Also, the restrictions really left only one reasonable layout, which took me a while to figure out. 
{ How I Did }
  • I chose the incorrect "furthest common path of travel" in the existing suite. (All three examples also got this wrong and 2 passed despite)
  • Because of the above, my calculations for Travel Distance to Stair 1 and Travel Distance to Stair 2 were off, but correct for what I had. (Again, still doesn't constitute a failing solution)
  • Where I would say I tipped into Borderline Pass was this: I miscalculated my Occupancy for one of the 4 suites, which affected my occupancy load per stair.
2287 SF / 50 (Exercise Room) = 46
I *somehow off in la-la-land* got 12...

However, I noticed this same mistake on several sample tests and graders would note that despite a math error, if the candidate still demonstrated knowledge of how to actually apply the correct method of determining load per stair, they were not automatically FAILED.

Now, combine these errors... I don't know what to take away as far as correct grading, but I will learn from it!

I am happy that I have overcome the hurdles of laying out my spaces and understanding the difference between "common path of travel" and "distance to stair 1 & 2."

Now exiting, 
Carolyn

5 comments:

  1. Are you working on Spring 2010 PDP? My Gym didn't require 2 exits and I didn't see it marked off on all three examples..What grid are you using? Do you have a link to one that's similar? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the gym having two doors as well & it was not required from what I can tell (less than 49 people).
    I tried using a grid last week & it didn't help me at all. Perhaps it was too small. Maybe a 5 foot grid would help. I had one foot increments & it was faster to just measure with my scale than constantly count.
    What size drafting board did you buy? Mine is 30x42 & there's some talk that it may be too large even though it is on their list. I'm bringing it anyway.
    I used the 2010 practice exam as well as the Ballast book. Considering it's next week, that's all I'll be using! (: Looking forward to writing actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I think you were taking the Spring 2010 PDP like me, right? That one doesn't require two but the Fall 2012 does. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I completed Fall 2012 and it does need two doors! ;) That results post is here: http://thencidqdiaries.blogspot.com/2013/02/egress-exercise-how-i-did.html

    I'm glad you gals are reading along! Study friends! Haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right. I'm using the 2010 practice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete