Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Dimlabelgram!!

It's not a spelling error, friends. It's a word I invented that makes both me and my husband laugh. And sticks in my brain. And it holds a strategy which I think will help anyone avoid mark-downs for "small" errors. Let's say it together now: Dimlabelgram.


... { Meaning }...

Dimlabelgram: (v) [dim-LAY-bull-gram] the act of checking one's Practicum exercises for proper dimensions & clearances, labeled  FFE & mounting heights, and compliance with the provided program.

Example:
Halt! 10 minutes to go! Time to dimlabelgram my solution! Oops... didn't label my mirror. Oops again, forgot a 5'-0" turning circle. 

I found that pretending I'm a grader for the last 10-15 minutes of each exercise forces me to scrutinize the details. This isn't a good time to catch something big and irreversible. This is why it's important to evaluate your plan of attack early on - see one of my strategies "The Three Phases" of Space Planning in this post. To avoid 3 to 4 little mistakes is valuable to me. I have even considered writing it on my test booklet in big red letters. But then again, you hand those booklets back in. And I wouldn't want the graders thinking I've got a few screws loose. Which I suppose is true. Per this post. But whatever it takes to pass... have some fun along the way. 



Should I "Add this to dictionary" per Spellcheck?

Happy DLG-ing,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment