Thursday, April 4, 2013

ADA Washroom Checklist

Don't forget ANY of these!
{ checklist }
  • Divide Stalls/Urinals (60" x 60" min for ADA, door swing out; 60" x length of wall, door swing in; 36" x 48" standard, door swing out)
  • Doors are 30-32" in standard, 36" in ADA stalls
  • Draw in wall-hung toilets & Urinals
  • Draw in grab bars to scale and dimension length from wall and length of bar (36" behind toilet mounted 6" from nearest wall, 42-48" beside mounted 12" from nearest wall)
  • Dimension stalls (width and depth!!) 
  • Dimension center lines of toilets to stalls/walls; 18" from each side
  • Dimension center lines of urinals to privacy screen/walls; 18" from each side
  • Draw in Lavatory(ies)
  • Indicate which one has ADA open space below; the width of open space
  • Draw in mirrors, soap dispensers (1) per sink, hand dryer, trash receptacle 
  • Draw turning circles 60" in common area, at door, and in ADA stall (not overlapping door swing!)
  • Draw 30 X 48 clear floor space to scale (dotted rectangle) at sink and ADA urinal (NOT at toilet) and LABEL it as such.
  • Tag all fixtures (!!!)
If you practice this (perfectly) often, you'll be able to do it in 10 minutes! I am not kidding! 

And that means... more time to spend on the less-predictable Millwork exercise!

Almost there,
Carlyn

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on Saturday! I just found your blog a day or two ago but find it hilarious, because we are almost the same person. My dad is also an architect. I took all three tests this past fall and passed Sections 1 and 2 and failed the Practicum. I'm retaking the Practicum this weekend again as well. Hopefully this time I won't be so stressed with memorization that I can truly focus on what is only in the program.

    Quick question, doesn't the 36" grab bar that goes behind the toilet need to be 6" away from the nearest wall? I've always been taught and practiced 6" space with the 36" grab bar and 12" space with the 42" grab bar. Just trying to figure out if I am missing something here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it can be either, but I haven't seen it marked off on any examples (actually - most candidates don't even dimension this - they just show it). After looking at Bobrick's guidelines, it looks like most are at 6"! I'm going to update my post!
      THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's right. Six inches from the corner for the 36 inch grab bar & 12 for the 42. I have not seen it labelled anywhere but good to know anyway.

    Good luck Carolyn & everyone else writing Saturday! Thanks Carolyn too. (:

    ReplyDelete