Monday, April 1, 2013

Space Planning: 64 SF ADA Restroom

Me: Can the turning radius in an ADA restroom - with a closed door, not a stall - overlap the door swing or not?
Dad: It depends on the state and jurisdiction. 
Me: What about PA?
Dad: <insert confusing, but sensible answer(s)>
Me: So, I'm just going to be safe and assume it should not overlap. 
Dad: Yeah, that's a good idea. 

I had to... hehe. 

Reason for asking: the 2010 test did not mark candidates off, but the 2012 test did. 

After a little tweaking, I figured this is a safe layout for an 8x8 Accessible restroom. That's 64 SF, FYI, and required on the Space Planning exercise. It has to do with door placement. It also has to do with a wee bit of common sense. I placed the door in such a way that a person in a wheelchair could not sit on the pull side and actually open the door without trouble. And here's what I came up with... (Click image for larger)

{ Compliant }


{ Non-Compliant }

Incorrect overlay in red...

See how there is no room for the 30 x 48 accessible floor at the sink? And not much room at all to pull the door open if one's in a wheelchair? Even though I drew my toilet a wee-larger (oops), doesn't it seem like there's less room to pull up beside the toilet? 

Keep it spacious,
Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. The code has changed since 2010 which is why you cannot overlap your door swing & the turning radius.
    Great drawings! Very clear. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You are correct - Last night I was reviewing my 2012 test and you CANNOT overlap. But on 2010 it was acceptable. That partially answers your question of "what's different"!! Haha! Craziness!

      Delete