Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sim Day Results: Lighting

Grade: PASS!
not my plan, but photo from: Katy Higley

I've really come through on this exercise. My practice has paid off, as I only made (2) mistakes on the plan. Hooray! Happy dance!
  • I designated a night-time security light (a 2x4 Fluorescent fixture) as required, but I switched it. It should not have the ability to be switched off. Lesson learned! (Though, I believe this requirement has been omitted in the new format of the test.)
  • I miscalculated one of my fixture wattage totals: a 4-piece under-cabinet task light (4-piece meaning 4x9" segments). I entered it as 4 x 20W per fixture = 100W. Oops.  It didn't affect my totals much at all (20 Watts) and I was still within wattage allowed. 
Strategies Employed
  • First off, I started with my entire hour available. No space planning spill-over. Good start!
  • I read the directions thoroughly and wrote down key points on the side of my plan.
  • I started by calculating my wattage allowed. 
    • 1.5W/SF x Total SF = Total Watts Allowed
  • Lightly (in pencil) drew in small lights with symbols, adding roughly as I went.
  • Adjusted my plan a few times until it was right, rather than rushing into the "pretty pen drawing" stage.
  • I wasn't familiar with the "NL" night light requirements, so I did spend some time trying to find limits or restrictions in the Code information. No such luck!
  • Included any fixtures the exercise provided.
  • Checked thoroughly.
Good Luck,
Carolyn




2 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn,
    Thanks again for your blog. I am taking the test in October, and you have relieved some stress Ive had!!
    I was wondering: In Katy's drawing about - what does it mean that some of the receptacles are colored in?
    Thanks,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it's just a different symbol, but you won't see that on the test! :)

    ReplyDelete