Sunday, March 17, 2013

10 Ways to Relieve Test Anxiety: Weeks Before


  1. Identify good and bad inner voices by trying The Angel vs. Devil Exercise.
  2. When you find you're having a negative thought, immediately replace it with a positive or comforting one. What if I fail? WHAT IF YOU DON'T?!
  3. Cry when you need to along the way. Nothing releases stress and anxiety like a good cry. Embrace your vulnerability. Just like pain is weakness leaving the body, tears are weakness exiting via your eyes. So you're in your late 20's, early 30's, late 30's, early 40's, late 40's, early 50's and so on? Just let your inner-toddler do her thing. And cry. Just, er - do so before the test day. Not on the test day (cough, cough... not that I did that or anything).
  4. Seek support from friends and family. Accept it rather than inserting excuses or negativity to counter their truths. No one can encourage us like our most treasured people. Thank them for it and return the support when they need it. 
  5. Seek support from yourself. Practice telling yourself how capable you are and how far you've come. Reiterate facts you've remembered. Anxiety is a learned behavior. So is self-esteem. And you're in control.
  6. PRACTICE. I will tell you one thing, not doing this is a sure-fire way to reach both test anxiety and probable failure. And let me tell you from experience: a FAIL in the mail is a crap start to summer.
  7. #6 again.
  8. #6 and #7.
  9. Exercise. A healthy physical body enhances a learning mind. Ever hear of endorphins? They're no joke. Endorphins are positive, evoke happiness, and most certainly confidence. Go for a run and let your body's complex chemistry be on your side.
  10. See every mistake as an opportunity to grow rather than a setback or flaw. I mean it!
  11. Bonus tip: 21. Well, sure think back to when you were finally able to drink. But also, 6 + 7 + 8 = 21. Practice + Practice + Practice = confidence & skill!!
Everything is beautiful!!!

As I was signing this post, I suddenly remembered some wonderful ways my friends see me.  For instance, my coworkers call me "Snow" as in Snow White because I see the positive often and I'm, for the most part, a happy person (obviously, I can also be not happy!). Would "Snow" be scared of the NCIDQ Practicum or would she reason that it is a positive achievement! My mom and others describe me as "Real" and "Inspirational". I've sometimes been self-conscious about putting it all out there on this blog, but I admire people who put it out there and keep it real. 

This DIY Couple (I'm a super-fan) always keeps it real!
And last but not least, this sweet, southern beauty guru who keeps it real by appreciating the small things, struggles and all. 

Love and happy thoughts,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment