Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lighting Exercise: How I Did!

(This is long, but it's my favorite post to date). :)


Source unknown, but I love this!

Last night, (Feb 12th), I took the Lighting Exercise of my first practice test. On Monday night (the 10th) and over the weekend, I studied my old practice test to refresh my knowledge. I also thought back to my Spring 2012 exam and where I had room for improvement. I did it in 1/3 of the allotted time - that's a problem!! 

After taking the test, I was seriously drained (this will get better and I will be able to handle the full 9 hour day). I helped Andrew with taxes, did a 30-day shred workout, actually washed my face before bed, and even watched part of an SNL episode before falling asleep. It felt amazing to exercise my mind, my creativity, my body, and my ability to laugh uncontrollably. I felt accomplished and HAPPY.


I sat down for exactly (1) hour. I didn't read/study before. I didn't check my work right after. I used my watch from Andrew and my Kimball Office calculator. 

TIP (day off): For your tools, bring personal items that remind you of the moment you received them, a special person, or a happy place help to set your mind at ease, relieving anxiety and providing familiar refuge. I'm using my pretty watch from Andrew and my lucky Sharpie.

TIP (prep time): Quality over quantity when it comes to test prep. Don't force yourself to sit there for 3 hours. If you can't fill the time effectively, you'll a) retain very little and b) feel disappointed and defeated if you don't make it for your goal time. Be smart with study goals. If you get one hour in and you're mind shuts down, don't force it. Take a break for 15 minutes or 15 hours. Sleep on it. And if you want to keep going even if it's late at night, embrace that!!

Here goes...
Start time: 7:47 pm
End time: 8:47 pm

This included me opening the crisply folded test vellum (2 pieces). It took me a minute alone to straighten it out! I won't need to do this on the test day as they hand you a flat set of test vellum in a HUGE Ziploc (love that!). 

TIP: Write your start time and end time in the corner of your test vellum. Not only will you remember when you started, I like to think that the graders see that you're a focused and committed candidate. I'm not saying this will cancel out the wrong stuff, but I believe if you are actually that invested in marking your time, chances are it will show in your solution.

I taped my pages to the desk and read my test booklet. Next, I determined how much wattage I was allowed by multiplying the watts/SF by the SF like I shared with you in this post.

I'd love to tell you what the space I designed the lighting plan for, but it's confidential! Though, I'll tell you one juicy detail: I was allowed 900 watts total.

TIP: Picture a real person in your life as your "client". It sounds cheesy, but it helps me focus, relieve anxiety, and feel more invested in my work.

I accomplished the following:
  • Created a design solution including fixtures which provide an appropriate level of general lighting (ambient, task, accent).
  • Drafted a sound switching diagram:
    • Adjustable levels of illumination where required 
    • Separate switching per function and per lamp source
    • Graphically depicted switching connections
    • Appropriately tagged all fixtures
    • Properly dimensioned fixtures where required
    • Properly labeled mounting heights for fixtures per egress/accessibility guidelines
    • Complete lighting schedule
    • Watts per SF don't exceed 1.5 W/SF
Tonight (Feb 13th), I graded my test using the Pass, Borderline Pass, and Fail examples. 

Pass - 5 problems
Borderline - 8 problems
Fail - 12 problems

I had (6) problems! I'd say I was close to Pass! Here's what I missed:
  • { X } Placed (2) of (5) switches in the room behind one door of a double door **Graders say this is actually OK as one door could be fixed. I found a discrepancy in the plan on their part regarding this and another mark-down. Not getting into it, but it's very poor design! And so obvious!
  • { X } I applied a 3-way switch to (2) of (3) fixtures. All three should be on the 3-way. 
  • { X } Put a "D" (standard dimmer) where a "DLV" (dimmer low voltage should be) in one space (a single wall washer).
  • { X } Put a "D" (standard dimmer) where a "DLV" (dimmer low voltage should be) in another space (a single down light).
  • { X } Did not specify the mounting height of a pendant fixture hanging from the ceiling. Height to bottom of (b.o.) fixture is sufficient. I did indicate heights for all sconces, though!
  • { X } I don't think they would have docked me for this, but I started filling in my lighting schedule with "Fixture Description" (i.e. "Recessed down light") and "Rational." Halfway through, I started omitting the "Fixture Description" and writing my own shortened version.
I feel much sharper than I was on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. This was a tremendously helpful refresher since I do not have the opportunity to do lighting plans often. I played a part in designing many lighting plans with various task/ambient/general lighting applications when I worked at a commercial firm in the city and when I was fresh out of college at a residential business. 

I really enjoyed this exercise. I have a little tear from being able to say that. 

Level of confidence: ELEVATED!

Stay bright and hopeful,
Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn, I may be running a few things by you over the next couple days that I haven't quite mastered yet... wondering if, for the sake of the exam, you know if LED's can be dimmable, and if so, is it standard dimmer or low-voltage dimmer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole! You CAN dim LED's, but it's rather new and difficult - so I'm thinking NCIDQ wouldn't a) test us on that and b) mark us off for it. It takes low voltage to dim them (Google), but I would keep it simple and avoid any uncertain applications (in other words, save "D" and "DLV" for the fancy lighting). The only LED fixtures I specify are the under-cabinet lighting and for the Practicum, I never dim them. I haven't seen any sample tests with them dimmed either. Hope this helps. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. That's sort of what I was thinking.... just because it's possible to dim them doesn't mean they'll accept it for the exam. I hate that real world is different from exam world! Anyway, thanks for your input!

      Delete
    3. I know! That's a big reason why I shared Q-Practice's post yesterday about The Two Biggest Mistakes that will hurt us: #1: This isn't how WE do it and #2: I know this already!

      I'm glad you're asking Q's and sharing info with me! thank you!

      Delete