Saturday, February 16, 2013

Not my finest moment...

I took my Millwork Exercise of my practice test from last year. It was easy to do so with a blank vellum page as apparently I did not complete the Millwork exercise last year. I didn't even recognize the problem page. #alreadyofftoabetterstart


It turns out the best way to prepare for this portion of the test is not to study clearances and heights ahead of time - as everything you need to know is provided - but to just dive in and draw. Literally, anyone could take this test and pass. Everything - I mean everything is spelled out for you. It's actually a bit humorous. This leaves the challenge at: time

Here's a run-down of how my totally successful exercise went:
  • Taped vellum to desk. 
  • Start clock at 10:28. 
  • Hands shaking whole time - not sure if it's 2 cups of coffee or anxiety?
  • 25 minutes in - white out tape broke and I angrily threw it under the futon. Productive. Sane.
  • 43 minutes later, break down crying and frozen. 
  • 17 minutes of a therapy session with Andrew, who happen to come up right when I lost my cool and knew all of the perfect things to say.
I was so caught up in time that I psyched myself out and shut down. I also feel as though I've waste valuable time when I "fail" which just makes things worse. I need to realize that even failure is time well-spent. 

{  They're not asking you to do this....  }

Since I can't change either variable: the length of an hour nor the content of the exercise, I must practice until I'm "fast." Thing is, in real life, it would not take an hour to create a sound Laundry Room / Craft Room / Kitchen / Mail room plan, elevation, AND section. It would take about double or triple that. Or maybe half a day. Or maybe a whole day. 

Things I learned today (in no particular order):
  • This is a "practice" test. 
  • This is not the actual test. 
  • The test is not next weekend. 
  • The test is 7 weeks from today. 
  • No coffee before practice test.
  • Don't leave your scale at work in your pencil cup. You'll need one that's longer than 6 inches.
  • You have all of the information you need.
  • You are capable. 
  • Remember swimming? You had to practice to get as fast as you were! (This line is epic and chock-full of relativity and perspective!)
  • Slow down to speed up. 
  • A bunch of ADA clearances (memorized - will help with speed!)
  • What to dimension. 
  • The plan is #1 on the sheet so your elevation will be #2 and section #3. 
  • Design for the requirements not for beauty and perfection.
  • Practice - whether it feels like it or not - will make perfect. 
Back to the drawing board .. with a wee bit more confidence.

Strength & Love, 
Carolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment