Monday, February 4, 2013

Where I Went Right

The post where I vow to keep doing what worked.

1. Pretty, colorful post-its and tabs.

These seem silly, but like most creative minds, I am very visual. I jotted down notes and sketches. I marked portions of the plan where I got stuck so I was able to come back to them. I even color coordinated my blank vellum pages with the directions in the problem booklet. The instructor said it was very clever! 

What I'll take from this: Be colorful. Hand in your notes, stickies, and sketches. They are weighed. More importantly, they worked for me so I'm planning on brightening up my test experience again. 

2. Count to ten. 

Even in that crazy "not keeping track of time" fiasco, I took a few deep breathes before I started the Lighting section. It helped more than it hurt because I'm pretty sure I wasn't actually breathing anymore when the proctor called 30-minute warning. 

What I'll take from this: When you freeze, take a moment. It is immensely clarifying. And you'll likely freeze at least once during the 8 hours. If you're human. 


3. Pre-rip trace paper.

You'll need trace paper to overlay on the plan for bubble diagrams and preliminary sketches of the space plan. And it's crinkly and loud when you rip it. And noise during a test is frustrating. Be mindful of others and rip several sheets ahead of time. I ripped 2 pieces per section and 4 for the space planning exercise. 


4. Read the program booklet thoroughly before picking up your pen. But do have your hi-lighter ready.

This speaks for itself, but the common mistakes I noticed in my practice test results were omissions. I still struggle with this even at work. We'll get a program and I'll get caught up in getting the big stuff down on paper and miss key "little" items which are not only just as important, they're right there in the program! I did a good, slow job of reading the booklet and it paid off during the test (admittedly not on every section). 

5. Wear comfy clothes. 

During this test, leggings most certainly are pants. But you're a designer, so wear a long tunic and some cute, comfy boots or sneakers. 

6. Get fresh air. 

Go outside during your lunch break. Trust me on this. You'll need a change of scenery. Even though it was cold and rainy, I felt better. (But avoid calling your husband in tears, blubbering about how upset you are - don't do that. It is not at all Zen and it takes longer than you think to look like you weren't just red-eyed and tear/snot covered on the street. Sorry.)


It's a truly helpful reminder to KEEP doing the things which DID work. 

Love, Humility, and Encouragement,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment