Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prep-Prep


“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” 

― Benjamin Franklin

I didn't plan my test prep last year. I just dove in (this approach only really works with early morning swim practice). And I ran out of practice material. Before I could order more, it was too late. I also practiced sporadically and took poor inventory of my time. This year, I'm going in with a plan. And I'm stickin' to it. 



Get it? Tape? Stickin' to it? Eh? Anyone?

Slow and Steady. Moderation. Building. Easing. There's a reason Couch to 5K takes 9 weeks. There's a little thing called "burn-out" I'm a wee familiar with...

Here's Prep-Prep Week:


Week 1 (Feb 1-7)
Friday
Stay in. For once. Work out. Then, rest. Get a good night's sleep. Watch an episode of Shark Tank to entertain your inner entrepreneur and motivate your little booty. 
Saturday
Wake up early, clean house (chores don't stop), open Ballast book. Refresh. 2.5 hours. 

Sunday
Identify where I went right/wrong. Find purpose, motivation, accountability, and organization in the form of an unplanned blog. Begin to heal tortured and ignored test-spirit. Research test bundles. Peruse last year's practice test (<-so helpful).

Monday
Order tests (baby steps)

Tuesday - Thursday
Get plan down on paper, Spend 1 hour each night reviewing last years test, gather (1) set of plans from dad (architect) and (1) set of RCP and HVAC plans from engineers who work next door. Refresh knowledge of door closers, locksets, exit sign locations and symbols, HVAC layouts, sprinkler spacing, ADA toilet stall sizes, grab bar sizes, and millwork sections. 

Friday
Off. Rest brain and sanity for a studious weekend. Fill brain with happy place images... like this one of toes in the sand...

Above, I aim to spend one hour each night. So far, since this turns out to be interesting and fun, I actually spent almost 4 hours on Tuesday night. I will try to limit myself, but if I'm on a roll, I will go with it!  

Love and Lists, 
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment